Friday, March 16, 2012

Chellsie Memmel

A gymnastics hero came by our gym today.  Someone who has done just about all you can do as an athlete.  I met Chellsie Memmel just over 7 years ago, when I came to Whitewater.  This was right around the time she became the World Champion.  I can't even begin to tell you how mesmerized and star struck I was to meet her... the BEST gymnast in the WORLD.  I felt so lucky!  She was quiet, and sweet, and didn't really talk about gymnastics at all.  She was normal, and it was awesome.  Over the next few years I got to know her a little bit; she would come to town and hang out, or come to our meets.  She became less of a celebrity and more of a friend.  Chellsie went on to compete at the Olympics in Beijing in 2008, and came home with a beautiful silver medal.  I remember feeling SO proud to know her, a hero in my sport and in my country.  Today, I was reminded of her good heart and her passion for all things gymnastics.  Out of the goodness of her heart she came to our gym today to surprise the girls.  My team is much younger than I am, and they weren't here when Chellsie came around back in the day.  Needless to say, they were pretty excited, and very honored that she would pay them a visit!  Chellsie watched the girls show their routines on every event at their practice meet tonight, and then spoke to them afterwards.  She gave them the best advice that she could-- given their situation right now.  "It's just another meet.  Don't think of it as Nationals.  It's the same thing you do EVERY DAY!"  Well, it worked for Chel when she won worlds... so I bet it does wonders for the Warhawks!

Thanks so much Chel, from the bottom of my heart!  We will be cheering for you at Trails!!!  Go get it, girl!

Love True,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment