Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Change"

Even though I wrote about Taylor Swift's brilliant mind recently, I found myself needed to visit her again!  It is actually extremely appropriate considering she is playing a concert in Chicago (very near me) and I WISH I could be there tonight!

Today was such a beautiful summer day.  It was one of those days where the sun was up, the breeze was slight, and the air was a perfect 75 degrees... not at all normal for the humid Midwest!  I went for a run, like I do many weekdays, and because the day was so fantastic, I didn't want to stop!  I felt like Forrest Gump, because "I just kept runnin!" =)  When I started to get tired, it hit me like a brick wall.  Perhaps it was because I had ran almost twice as far as I normally do.  Nevertheless, I was ready to walk when a song on my iPod forbade me from it.

It was a song that is very near to my heart.  One that has spoken to me and many of my friends and former teammates about the life we spent together in college.  A song that still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.  It reminds me of a day when our formerly last place ranked Division 3 college gymnastics team showed the entire nation that we were a force to be reckoned with.  It was the day everything changed at UW-Whitewater.

We didn't get first place or anything.  We didn't even podium, but that didn't matter because we weren't supposed to be there in the first place.  A technicality allowed us to compete that day, because we were the meet hosts, we had an automatic bid.  It was such a crazy feeling, because our team had never been there before.  We felt like Celebrities, and we acted like them.  Our fans were incredible, but the arena was loud and most of the spectators were there to watch someone else.

That didn't matter to us.  We were at NATIONALS, and no one was going to bring us down.  We were there for the moment, and even though we weren't in first at the end of the meet... when we heard our names called for 4th place, the moment was OURS.

I remember feeling so grateful that day that I cried... a lot.  I had never been happier.  I was doing the one thing I had been born to do and I was standing next to some of the most incredible people I have ever known.  Nothing will ever take that feeling away.  No matter how many good days I had after that, or how many horrible days I had that followed... I can always go back and remember that day.  The nerves, the excitement, the passion and the courage we shared THAT DAY.  "The day things changed."

"And it's a sad picture, the final blow hits you
Somebody else gets what you wanted again
You know it's all the same, another time and place
Repeating history and you're getting sick of it

But I believe in whatever you do
And I'll do anything to see it through

Because these things will change, can you feel it now?
These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down
It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win

We'll sing hallelujah!
We'll sing hallelujah! Oh

So we've been outnumbered, raided and now cornered
It's hard to fight when the fight ain't fair
We're getting stronger now from things they never found
They might be bigger but we're faster and never scared

You can walk away and say we don't need this
But there's something in your eyes says we can beat this

'Cause these things will change, can you feel it now?
These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down
It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win

We'll sing hallelujah!
We'll sing hallelujah! Oh

Tonight we standed on our knees
To fight for what we worked for all these years
And the battle was long, it's the fight of our lives
Will we stand up champions tonight?

It was the night things changed, can you see it now?
These walls that they put up to hold us back fell down
It's a revolution, throw your hands up, 'cause we never gave in

We'll sing hallelujah!
We sang hallelujah!
Hallelujah!"



The team dynamic has continued to change since that day.  UW-Whitewater is now the two time Conference Champions and has since improved that first national appearance 4th place finish to a 2nd place finish in 2011.  The tides have changed dramatically, though the spirit of the team has not.  They are still an incredible group of young women lead by 2 amazing coaches (that I have the great privilege of working with).  I am so proud to have been a part of this incredible family and to have experienced all of the wonderful things I have through my involvement here.  Thank you to everyone who has affected my life as a part of my UW-Whitewater Journey.  I will be forever grateful to you all!


Day 15: Think back to a moment when  you could see it all change for the better.  Be grateful for your life before, and be grateful for you life since... for every change in life is a learning process, to help us grow and love.  


Love True-
Allison



"Change" - Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment