Friday, December 9, 2011

Walk on the Ocean

Today, I realized that I have probably spent more time in a gymnastics gym than I have in any other place.  Particularly the gym at UW-Whitewater, where I attended college and now coach.  I have spent 9 months of the last 7 years there.  No wonder it feels like home to me.  It's not a chore to go there, and I don't ever feel like I'm at work when I'm there.  It's just a warm feeling, happy and content.  

I entered my first gym at age 4... so needless to say, I've been pretty content to be barefoot and in a leotard for the last 21 years.  Okay, my leotard wearing days are over... but I still go barefoot :)

Anyway, I came across this quote again today, a line from a song that wasn't very familiar to me, but for this one line that pops up frequently in one of my favorite TV shows.  

"Somebody told me that this is the place where everything's better and everything's safe."

 
My home is one of these places for me.  Relaxing in the comfort of my home, with my family by my side is the safest I've ever felt.  The fabric of the "nap chair," the warmth of the fireplace, the smell of my mom's candles, and the clutter of 4 young adults watching movies together with their parents, is the happy safe zone that I love the most.  I wish I could be there more, but real life isn't always that easy.

Work keeps me a good distance away from my home, but lucky for me I have a home away from home.  I have a nice little studio apartment where I spend a lot of time these days.  I am a nanny during the day, so I'm home a lot now.  But my apartment is not my comfort zone.  When I am away working, my home is the gym.  I feel happy there, calm and serene.  Sure, sometimes college gymnastics is stressful, and intense... but that is normal for any job. 

Despite the location, where ever it may be... I think the true HOME feeling comes in part because of the people who surround it.  I know how blessed I am to have two incredible families who love and support me... and that is all the SAFE I need.

My wish for everyone is that they have one of these places.  Somewhere they feel the most like themselves.  Somewhere they feel comfortable being who they are.  Somewhere they can trust to save them from the outside world when times get hard.  A safe haven. 


"we spotted the ocean at the head of the trail
where are we going, so far away
and somebody told me that this is the place
where everything's better, everything's safe

walk on the ocean
step on the stones
flesh becomes water
wood becomes bone

half and hour later we packed up our things
we said we'd send letters and all those little things
and they knew we were lying but they smiled just the same
it seemed they'd already forgotten we'd came

walk on the ocean
step on the stones
flesh becomes water
wood becomes bone

now back at the homestead
where the air makes you choke
and people don't know you
and trust is a joke
we don't even have pictures
just memories to hold
that grow sweeter each season
as we slowly grow old"

Love True-
Allison





No comments:

Post a Comment