Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I AM THAT GIRL: Driven By Passion

That face, the sheer pride that overtakes the entire team, that is why I love
my job.  Moments like this last forever in their hearts, and in mine.
As a gymnastics coach, one of my favorite parts of my job is helping athletes discover their greatness.  When you are able to witness someone realize their potential and surprise themselves, it is truly one of the most gratifying experiences.  I'm lucky, because I get to do this everyday.  Whether it's a two year old finally being able to jump with both feet, an eight year old mastering the dreaded kip on bars, or a senior in college nailing that last routine at the National Championships… my life is full of witnessing these small miracles; these little successes that can turn into life changing successes, and that, my friends, is why I do what I do.

The challenging part of my job is when these athletes fall short.  When they may not reach the standards they have set for themselves, and they begin to get discouraged.  Because of this, I am always on the lookout for different ways to inspire my athletes.  It's one thing for me to believe in them… but it's another thing entirely when they are able to believe in themselves.

They are, and always have been, "ONE family, ONE team,
with ONE dream" and I couldn't be more blessed to be a
part of this amazing family. 
Each year, our seniors pick a slogan or a team motto to carry them throughout the season.  This year, the seniors chose the slogan, "Driven By Passion."  It's a perfect slogan for gymnasts in particular.  Because sometimes, when their body is in pain and their muscles ache with fatigue and these women just don't know how much longer they can last in this sport that is meant for little girls… Passion is the only thing that gets them through.  I've been there… I know the amount of passion and heart that it takes to push through that kind of mental and physical exhaustion.

In my last blog post, I mentioned the group, I Am That Girl, and how they are working hard on a global mission to help inspire women of all ages to be strong, to be ambitious and to be passionate about their lives.  I started reading the book, "I Am That Girl," which I would absolutely recommend to EVERY female out there, and last night I came upon a piece of wisdom that seems to fit perfectly with my girls and their theme of the season:

"If you want to live a life driven by passion, if you want to make a difference in the world, to fight for something bigger than yourself and prove to others that yes, one person can make a difference, you're in for one of the hardest battles you'll ever fight.  But it's also the most rewarding."  -Alexis Jones

I couldn't believe it when I came across the words,
"Driven By Passion" in Alexis' book.  So perfect!
Immediately after reading this I felt my heart rate start to increase.  YES, I thought.  This is the truest and most honest way of looking at passion.  There are always going to be set backs, there are always going to be people who are better, smarter, stronger, prettier, etc.  But if you find something that makes your heart happy, if you're lucky enough to get up every day and do something that you love, then it is your obligation to do it well, to appreciate it, and to NEVER take it for granted.  If you fight those battles with all of your heart and passion, you will be far more successful than simply going through life without passion.  Sure, you may lose a battle from time to time… but sometimes you need to lose the battle in order to win the war.  Perseverance is everything.

Love True,
Allison


No comments:

Post a Comment