Wednesday, February 26, 2014

18 years

I have the cutest baby sister in the world!
Disclaimer:
I am about to shamelessly and whole heartedly brag about my little sister and how wonderful she is.  If you do not want to hear about her and how much she rocks at life... you can close out of your browser now.  I will not take any offense.  But seriously... read on... you might be inspired!

My baby sister is turning 18 tomorrow.  EIGHTEEN.  I can't even fathom this.  When I turned 18... she was 8.  EIGHT.

What the heck!?

I remember when my mom told me she was pregnant.  I don't remember this for my other two siblings, because I was too young to understand it.  When I was 8, my mom's friend slipped right in front of me, and I found out there was a baby on the way LONG before I was supposed to.

If I had known what we'd be getting several months later, I am sure that my excitement would have escalated way faster than it did!  Don't get me wrong, I was pumped to get a new little sibling... I was also a little scared, being 8, and confused about why it had to be a secret.

Flash forward 18 years and my baby sister is finishing her senior year of high school, with numerous awards and accolades to her name, a full athletic and academic scholarship for a four year education at a Division-I institution and I am amazed at the woman she has become.

My graduation day and both of my sisters.
Before I go into how great she is at everything, particularly soccer, let me just take a moment to express that my complete and total heartbreak that occurred when she was six and quit gymnastics was unneccesary, and though I thought I was totally justified in mourning over the loss of my "mini me's" devotion to gymnastics... I suppose she chose the right path for herself.

END guilt trip.

Cue bragging now:

Amy, or "Gracie" as I call her, is without a doubt the most dedicated, hard working, passionate, caring, inspiring, loving, compassionate, fearless, motivated and incredible person I know.  She is the type of person who is assigned a project due in three weeks, and starts it that night.  She studies daily for tests that are weeks away.  She runs extra miles after soccer practice.  She goes in to lift weights on her days off of practice.  She gets up early to work out on days off of school.  She goes to church without being asked, and often times will go by herself if no one can go with her.  She tutors friends in math and science.  She teaches soccer to kids with special needs.  She plays with our cousins and neighbors and any small child that walks into her life, and never complains of needing a break.  She spends time with her friends, goes to their games, plays, concerts, recitals, etc to make sure that her friends know they are the most loved friends on the planet.  She plays several sports and is literally the most incredible teammate on the planet.  She has attended more gymnastics meets than any child who is not a gymnast and even now that I'm not competing she continues to ask me how my gymnasts are doing.
Amy and I through my high school years.

Amy and I through HER high school years. 


PROUD would be an understatement.  I am not sure where the time has gone.  When I look back on the last 10 years of her life from 8 to 18, I realize that I missed so much of it.  Six months after she turned 8, I was off to college.  Sure I came home from time to time.  I sent her pictures, called her, and texted/Facebooked with her a lot after she was old enough to have a phone and use the computer.  But it wasn't like I was always there.  I missed concerts and games and school award ceremonies... most recently her National Letter of Intent Signing Day, but in my heart of hearts... I'm hoping that was harder on me than it was on her.  She has SO MANY people who love her and support her and look up to her.  I couldn't have picked better friends for her, and I'm pretty fond of her parents as well.  She grew up in my world... just 10 years later.  Same teachers, same school, same neighborhood... she is just making one hell of a mark on this world we know.

My baby sister is amazing.  She is my hero, and I pray that her goodness continues to radiate towards everyone she meets.  Happy Birthday, Gracie!  I love you more than Mom's pasta salad... ;-)

Love True,
Allison







No comments:

Post a Comment